Under general supervision, performs complex and varied machining operations. Analyzes complex Engineering Blueprints, specifications, and instructions to operate all CNC Machine Tools. Is capable of independent setup, programming and debug of CNC Machines Tools.
Key Skills and Competencies:
- Perform complex functions related to machine tools.
- Plan, lay out work, set up and operate all types of lathes, mills or grinders to machine or grind developmental, production or maintenance parts to exacting tolerances and dimensions.
- Must demonstrate ability to operate CNC mills and lathes.
- Review engineering drawings from sketches, graphic illustrations or verbal/written correspondence to plan sequence of operations; compute angular and linear dimensions; determine cutting or grinding tools to be used, method of holding, and machine speeds and feeds.
- Improvise, adapt and design standard tooling; perform such typical operations as turning, facing, boring; machine compound angles, multiple angles.
- Operate and/or perform machine set up for any lathes, milling machines, or grinding machines including numerically controlled machines. Lift, cut, load and secure raw stock into machining equipment.
- Grind own cutting tools, drills and bits. Perform all types of helical and spiral milling, drilling, reaming, boring, tapping slotting, and dovetailing on ferrous and non-ferrous metals and their alloys.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Responsible for quality parts produced on CNC machines such as but not limited to lathes and milling machines.
- Responsible for loading parts, proving programs, operating controls, setting offsets, simple edits, deburring and inspection of quality parts for conformance to requirements.
- Studies and interprets drawings, manuals, specifications or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work pieces, sequence of operations and setup requirements.
- Detects equipment malfunctions or out of tolerance machining and adjusts machine, within capabilities, controls or control media as required to insure quality of production. Reports all machine malfunctions to immediate supervisor.
- Communicates with supervisor, engineers, production control, quality and other shop personnel for assignments and to resolve machining or quality issues.
- Responsible for keeping equipment and work area clean and orderly and perform basic preventative maintenance functions on equipment.
- Within the scope of the job requirements, will be required to adhere and comply with State and Federal law, the Company ISO Quality Program and procedures, Company policies and Safety and Environmental Regulations.
- Initiates, recommends or provides solutions through designated channels
- Performs work in accordance with the process traveler
- Creates job setup instructions
- Maintains quality records
- Trained in the nonconforming material procedure
- Initial or sign and date all documents and revisions
- May perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Perform preventative maintenance
- Technical/trade school training or equivalent with minimum of 1-2 years related experience.
- Knowledge of computer operations and applications required.
- Must be able to read and comprehend engineering drawings, sketches and verbal and written communications to accomplish the job at hand.
- Knowledge of the position is required to ascertain problem situations and to recommend practical solutions.
- Possesses good interpersonal skills, and verbal and written communication skills to interface with various levels of employees while performing machinist functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.